- the maintenance of a house or domestic establishment.
- the management of household affairs.
- the management, care, and servicing of property and equipment of an industrial or commercial building or organization.
- the ongoing routine, procedures, operations, and management of a commercial enterprise, government, organization, or the like.
- Computers. system tasks, as initialization and managing peripheral devices, that must be done to permit a computer program to execute properly but that do not directly contribute to program output.
Origin of housekeeping
- to keep or maintain a house.
Origin of housekeep
First recorded in 1835–45; back formation from housekeeping
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for housekeeping
He moves her with no more concern for her condition than if she were a bag of dirty linen left behind by housekeeping.Ray Rice Should Have Remembered His 'Kindness' Anti-Bullying Wristband
September 10, 2014
Housekeeping: I have some travel today and tomorrow, so this is today's last post.How to Make Seniors Suspicious of Ryan and Romney
August 22, 2012
Taking on the role of emcee, Jimmy Kimmel shared a few housekeeping reminders with the audience.White House Correspondents Dinner: 9 Best Moments (Video)
April 29, 2012
This caretaker was a man, but with all the housekeeping ability of a woman.
That's not good for housekeeping; it's foolish waste of time.
"The housekeeping is enough," she answered, with her tranquil smile.Questionable Shapes
William Dean Howells
Her housekeeping capacity was not large enough to comprehend them.Barnaby Rudge
Money had long since been saved to set them up in housekeeping.L'Assommoir
- the running of a household
- money allocated for the running of a household
- organization and tidiness in general, as of an office, shop, etc
- the general maintenance of a computer storage system, including removal of obsolete files, documentation, security copying, etc
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for housekeeping
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper