[hahy-der-uh-bahd, -bad, hahy-druh-]
- a former state in S India, now part of Andhra Pradesh, Mysore, and Maharashtra.
- a city in S central India, the capital of Telangana and the temporary capital of Andhra Pradesh, in S India.
- a city in SE Pakistan, on the Indus River.
- a state in SE India, formed from portions of Chennai and Hyderabad states 1956. 105,963 sq. mi. (274,444 sq. km). Capital: Hyderabad.
- a state of central S India since 2014. 44,340 sq. mi. (114,840 sq. km). Capital: Hyderabad (shared with Andhra Pradesh).
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for hyderabad
He made it home 10 days after he had initially left Hyderabad.As 30-Year Anniversary of Mass Killings in India Arrives, Sikhs Find Safety in USA
Simran Jeet Singh
October 31, 2014
It would have been inexpressibly cathartic had India, after liberating Hyderabad in September 1948, captured and tried the Nizam.India’s Newest State Telangana Is Bosnia Redux
March 22, 2014
The necklace is called The Nizam of Hyderabad and was given to the Queen as a wedding present.Hilary Mantel Skips Dinner With 'Jointed Doll' Kate
February 12, 2014
Prajwala now runs 17 schools in Hyderabad that educate 5,000 children.Women in the World Speakers
The Daily Beast
March 8, 2010
With a wave of his hand he would speak of a certain bazaar in Hyderabad.The Four Million
Hyderabad is the capital, situated on the banks of the Indus.
To Hyderabad he accordingly marched, and took possession of that city.
Golconda: a place near Hyderabad, India, noted for its diamonds.The Short-story
William Patterson Atkinson
In Hyderabad, castration used to be performed at about the age of sixteen.Castes and Tribes of Southern India
- a city in S central India, capital of Andhra Pradesh state and capital of former Hyderabad state; university (1918). Pop: 3 449 878 (2001)
- a former state of S India: divided in 1956 between the states of Andhra Pradesh, Mysore, and Maharashtra
- a city in SW Pakistan, on the River Indus: seat of the University of Sind (1947). Pop: 1 392 000 (2005 est)
- a state of SE India, on the Bay of Bengal: formed in 1953 from parts of Tamil Nadu (then called Madras) and Hyderabad states. Capital: Hyderabad. Pop: 75 727 541 (2001). Area: about 275 068 sq km (106 204 sq miles)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012