- an inner lining placed between the ordinary lining and the outer fabric of a garment.
- material, as cotton or wool, for this purpose.
- lining and padding quilted together.
Origin of interlining1
- something that is written or inserted between lines of writing or print.
- such insertions collectively.
Origin of interlining2
- to write or insert (words, phrases, etc.) between the lines of writing or print.
- to mark or inscribe (a document, book, etc.) between the lines.
- to transfer (freight) from one carrier to another in the course of shipment.
- to transfer freight from one carrier to another in the course of shipment.
- involving or indicating a transfer of passengers or freight from one carrier to another during travel or shipment: interline flights.
- of or relating to transactions between competing carriers, especially airlines, by which passengers, baggage, and freight are transferred from one carrier to another using only one ticket or one check-in procedure from departure point to destination.
Origin of interline1
- to provide (a garment) with an interlining.
Origin of interline2
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for interlining
Frequently there was no interlining between the right and wrong sides.
The interlining, if the quilting is to be close and elaborate, must be thin.
They were very warm, as the interlining was usually of wool.
Its16 walls are double-boarded, with an interlining of sheathing paper.Making a Poultry House
Mary Roberts Conover
The interlining should be cut one-fourth of an inch smaller all around if the collar is to be blind stitched to the waist.Textiles and Clothing
Kate Heintz Watson
- the material used to interline parts of garments, now often made of reinforced paper
- (tr) to write or print (matter) between the lines of (a text, book, etc)
- (tr) to provide (a part of a garment, such as a collar or cuff) with a second lining, esp of stiffened material
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for interlining
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper