- very intricate or complex: an involved reply.
- implicated: involved in crime.
- concerned in some affair, especially in a way likely to cause danger or unpleasantness: I didn't call the police because I didn't want to get involved.
- committed or engaged, as in a political cause or artistic movement: The civil rights demonstration attracted the involved young people of the area.
Origin of involved
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. complicated, knotty, tangled, perplexing.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- complicated; difficult to comprehendan involved literary style
- (usually postpositive) concerned or implicatedone of the men involved
- (postpositive foll by with) euphemistic having sexual relationsshe was involved with a number of men
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for involvedness
"complicated," 1640s, past participle adjective from involve.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper