- a person, as a worker or athlete, of great physical endurance who can be depended upon to perform a given task or job tirelessly.
- a machine that performs a job formerly done by hand; robot.
- Slang. a dollar bill or a silver dollar.
Origin of iron man
First recorded in 1610–20
- Calvin Edward, Jr.CalIron Man, born 1960, U.S. baseball player.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for iron man
As usual, the iron-man asked twice as much as he intended to take, and after a sharp bargain, Roejean conquered.
- an event at a surf carnival in which contestants compete at swimming, surfing, running, etc
- a competitor at such an event
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012