- a descendant of Jacob, especially a member of the Hebrew people who inhabited the ancient kingdom of Israel.
- one of a group considered by its members or by others as God's chosen people.
- of or relating to ancient Israel or its people; Hebrew.
Origin of Israelite
Examples from the Web for israelites
The whole point of the story is that God saved his people—not that the Israelites caught a really lucky break.Christian Bale: One Man's Moses Is Another Man's Terrorist
Candida Moss, Joel Baden
December 7, 2014
Just like in the Bible story, where they say the great Pharaoh held down the Jews, Israelites and all that.Native American Basketball Team in Wyoming Have Hoop Dreams Of Their Own
August 31, 2014
The Israelites were carried off to Babylon, where they wept by the waters.ISIS Is About to Destroy Biblical History in Iraq
July 7, 2014
She loved those who were not her own and was granted protection by the Israelites in return.Shavuot and Self-Immolation
May 14, 2013
Why didn't God empower the Israelites to wreak vengeance on their enemies who were evil people?Passover, Non-Violence And Gun Control
March 25, 2013
A food miraculously given to the Israelites in the wilderness.The Devil's Dictionary
Therefore, the Israelites did right; therefore, the trader does wrong.Slavery Ordained of God
Rev. Fred A. Ross, D.D.
They say with those foolish Israelites, 'Let not God speak to us, lest we die.Essays, First Series
Ralph Waldo Emerson
The Israelites were not the only people who invaded the land of the Canaanites and stayed in it.History of Religion
There was a Persian dispersion similar to that of the Israelites.The Oriental Religions in Roman Paganism
- Bible a member of the ethnic group claiming descent from Jacob; a Hebrew
- Bible a citizen of the kingdom of Israel (922 to 721 bc) as opposed to Judah
- a member of any of various Christian sects who regard themselves as God's chosen people
- an archaic and sometimes offensive word for a Jew
Word Origin and History for israelites
late 14c., from Latin israelita, from Greek Israelites, from Israel (see Israel).
The descendants of Jacob, who made up twelve tribes, including the tribes of Judah, Levi, Reuben, and Benjamin.