- a village in E Virginia: first permanent English settlement in North America 1607; restored 1957.
- a city in SW New York.
- a city in central North Dakota.
- a seaport in and the capital of St. Helena, in the S Atlantic Ocean.
- a British island in the S Atlantic: Napoleon's place of exile 1815–21. 47 sq. mi. (122 sq. km).
- a British colony comprising this island, Ascension Island, and the Tristan da Cunha group. 126 sq. mi. (326 sq. km). Capital: Jamestown.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for jamestown
After all, Spanish conquistadors arrived in the early 1500s, well before the Jamestown settlers in 1607 or the Pilgrims in 1620.Keep the Holiday, Lose Columbus
October 13, 2014
In 1611, cannabis was planted in Jamestown, Virginia, by order of the king.The Chronic Chronicles: A History of Pot
July 6, 2014
Three weeks later, they had settled Jamestown, an unused bit of land the Native Americans had deemed undesirable.
Within the first nine months of life in Jamestown, the original 104 ship passengers had dwindled down to 38.
The crop of men landing at Jamestown were soldiers by trade, and all were accustomed to leadership roles.
Above Jamestown for some 2,000 feet the country is inexpressibly sterile.The Last Voyage
Lady (Annie Allnutt) Brassey
The first slaves were landed at Jamestown, Virginia, in 1619.The Negro Farmer
It is certain that wine was made from this species by the English settlers at Jamestown.Manual of American Grape-Growing
U. P. Hedrick
In 1646 two houses were ordered to be erected at Jamestown as spinning-schools.Home Life in Colonial Days
Alice Morse Earle
Among the latter is the account of the first meeting of the Assembly at Jamestown in 1619.Colonial Records of Virginia
- a ruined village in E Virginia, on Jamestown Island (a peninsula in the James River): the first permanent settlement by the English in America (1607); capital of Virginia (1607–98); abandoned in 1699
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.