- Joseph,1829–1905, U.S. actor.
- Thomas,1743–1826, U.S. statesman, diplomat, architect, and author: 3rd president of the U.S. 1801–09.
- a river in SW Montana, flowing generally NE to join the Madison and Gallatin rivers to form the Missouri River. 225 miles (362 km) long.
- Mount, a mountain in NW Oregon, in the Cascade Range. 10,497 feet (3199 meters).
- Mount, a mountain in N New Hampshire, in the Presidential Range of the White Mts. 5715 feet (1742 meters).
- a male given name.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for jefferson
Thanks to that meddling Franklin and the other editors, Jefferson thought his Declaration had been “mangled.”
To be sure, Jefferson did share the credit, but not in the way such a resolution might be interpreted.
“Give about two [hours] every day to exercise,” Jefferson instructed his young nephew.
And the Constitution, written on goatskin not rice paper, might be as our country was under Jefferson.Why We Can’t Quit Calling Presidents ‘Kings’
November 22, 2014
Just try to find a mention of Sally Hemings at the Jefferson Memorial.God vs. the Internet. And the Winner is…
November 16, 2014
Much time has passed since Jefferson arrived for his inauguration.
The doctrines of Jefferson were received as their political gospel.
Will the evidence of your own Jefferson, on this point, be admissible?
Verily, thou hast learned of Jefferson, and Channing, and Barnes.Slavery Ordained of God
Rev. Fred A. Ross, D.D.
Soon after, we came to Jefferson Market and stopped at the entrance of the jail.The Harbor
- Thomas. 1743–1826, US statesman: secretary of state (1790–93); third president (1801–09). He was the chief drafter of the Declaration of Independence (1776), the chief opponent of the centralizing policies of the Federalists under Hamilton, and effected the Louisiana Purchase (1803)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012