- the propulsion of a body by its reaction to a force ejecting a gas or a liquid from it.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- propulsion by means of a jet of fluid
- propulsion by means of a gas turbine, esp when the exhaust gases provide the propulsive thrust
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- The driving of an aircraft by the powerful thrust developed when a jet of gas is forced out of a jet engine.
- Propulsion by means of any fluid that is forced out in a stream in the opposite direction. Squids, octopuses, and cuttlefish, for example, jet their way through the ocean by taking in and then quickly expelling water.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.