- a lively dance accompanied by rhythmic hand clapping, developed by plantation slaves of the U.S.
Origin of juba
An Americanism dating back to 1825–35; of obscure origin
- a female day name for Monday.See under day name.
- Italian Giuba [joo-bah] /ˈdʒu bɑ/. a river in E Africa, flowing S from S Ethiopia through Somalia to the Indian Ocean. 1000 miles (1609 km) long.
- a city in S Sudan, on the White Nile.
- (formerly, especially in creole-speaking cultures) a name given at birth to a black child, in accordance with African customs, indicating the child's sex and the day of the week on which he or she was born, as the male and female names for Sunday (Quashee and Quasheba), Monday (Cudjo or Cudjoe and Juba), Tuesday (Cubbena and Beneba), Wednesday (Quaco and Cuba or Cubba), Thursday (Quao and Abba), Friday (Cuffee or Cuffy and Pheba or Phibbi), and Saturday (Quamin or Quame and Mimba).
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for juba
On the night of January 9th, 2011, Juba was the most joyful place on earth.Confronting George Clooney’s Critics on South Sudan
October 7, 2014
First he headed to Juba, South Sudan, covering the ongoing crisis there for Anadola, and then, onward to Nigeria.Al Jazeera Journo Abdullah El-Shamy Goes On Hunger Strike In Egyptian Jail
March 29, 2014
If the battle of Juba begins, the embassy will be forced to close.Can the U.S. Stop Civil War in South Sudan?
January 4, 2014
The perpetrators of political turmoil in Juba are not Dinka or Nuer, nor any other ethnic people who make up South Sudan.
Coordinated attacks took place simultaneously at two points a considerable distance away from each other in Juba.
Juba had lived with him ever since, and accompanied him wherever he went.
Juba is, without exception, the best creature in the universe.
That there has been a quarrel is certain, for your friend Juba told Marriott so.
I accept them,' Juba replied; 'I take them now; don't forget it.''
Are you aware 156that the river Juba is nearly eight hundred miles in length?The River of Darkness
William Murray Graydon
- a lively African-American dance developed in the southern US
C19: of Zulu origin
- a river in NE Africa, rising in S central Ethiopia and flowing south across Somalia to the Indian Ocean: the chief river of Somalia. Length: about 1660 km (1030 miles)
- the capital of South Sudan, on the White Nile river. Pop: 250 000 (2006 est)
- Western African a name indicating a person's day of birth
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012