- producing or secreting milk: lactiferous glands.
- conveying milk or a milky fluid: lactiferous ducts.
Origin of lactiferous
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for lactiferous
The most characteristic structure, however, and that by which chicory can be easily identified, is the lactiferous tissue.
Let me curr to quercine shades Effund your albid hausts, lactiferous maids!The Autocrat of the Breakfast-Table
Oliver Wendell Holmes
In some cinchona bark a system of lactiferous vessels is found between the liber and mesophlum.
- producing, conveying, or secreting milk or a milky fluidlactiferous ducts
- botany containing latex; laticiferous
C17: from Latin lactifer, from lact-, lac milk
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Producing, secreting, or conveying milk.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.