[luh-val; French la-val]
- Pierre [pyer] /pyɛr/, 1883–1945, French lawyer and politician: premier 1931–32, 1935–36; premier of the Vichy government 1942–44; executed for treason 1945.
- a city in S Quebec, in E Canada, NW of Montreal, on the St. Lawrence.
- a city in and the capital of Mayenne, in W France.
- a department in W France. 2012 sq. mi. (5210 sq. km). Capital: Laval.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for laval
He was the son of a barber at Laval, in Maine, where he was born in 1509.Self-Help
I fancy that we shall march to Laval, and there halt for a day or two.No Surrender!
G. A. Henty
He died many years after when at the head of the Laval University.The Priest, The Woman And The Confessional
"This is Laval," said the doctor, an hour and a half after the train left Rennes.Down the Rhine
And Laval got up, reeling from the enormous quantity of blood he had lost.With Haig on the Somme
D. H. Parry
- a city in SE Canada, in Quebec: a NW suburb of Montreal. Pop: 343 005 (2001)
- Pierre (pjɛr). 1883–1945, French statesman. He was premier of France (1931–32; 1935–36) and premier of the Vichy government (1942–44). He was executed for collaboration with Germany
- a department of NW France, in Pays de la Loire region. Capital: Laval. Pop: 290 780 (2003 est). Area: 5212 sq km (2033 sq miles)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012