- a city in and the capital of Jura, in E France.
[joo r-uh; French zhy-ra]
- a department in E France. 1952 sq. mi. (5055 sq. km). Capital: Lons-le-Saunier.
- Jura Mountains.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for lons-le-saunier
He was born at Lons-le-Saunier, in the Jura, that country of reverie and energy, as mountainous countries always are.History of the Girondists, Volume I
Alphonse de Lamartine
- a town in E France: saline springs; manufactures sparkling wines. Pop: 25 867 (1999)
- the plural of jus 1
- a department of E France, in Franche-Comté region. Capital: Lons-le-Saunier. Pop: 253 309 (2003 est)). Area: 5055 sq km (1971 sq miles)
- a canton of Switzerland, bordering the French frontier: formed in 1979 from part of Bern. Capital: Delémont. Pop: 69 200 (2002 est). Area: 838 sq km (323 sq miles)
- an island off the W coast of Scotland, in the Inner Hebrides, separated from the mainland by the Sound of Jura . Pop: 200 (2004 est). Area: 381 sq km (147 sq miles)
- a mountain range in W central Europe, between the Rivers Rhine and Rhône: mostly in E France, extending into W Switzerland
- a range of mountains in the NE quadrant of the moon lying on the N border of the Mare Imbrium
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012