- insanity; mental disorder.
- intermittent insanity, formerly believed to be related to phases of the moon.
- extreme foolishness or an instance of it: Her decision to resign was sheer lunacy.
- unsoundness of mind sufficient to incapacitate one for civil transactions: a former legal term.
Origin of lunacy
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. derangement, dementia; craziness, madness, mania, aberration. 3. folly, stupidity.
1, 2. rationality, sanity.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for lunacy
I was never sure whether this was phlegm or the onset of lunacy.Why Can’t Movies Capture Genius?
December 14, 2014
Here are 24 short stories, each quintessentially quirky and, some would think, touched by lunacy.Weed Reads: The 10 Best Books on Pot
April 27, 2014
Sometimes, especially during the Faith years, I felt close to lunacy.George Michael: Kate Is Stronger Than Di
March 19, 2014
The lyrics range from sappy to explicit, but the level of lunacy is nothing if not consistent.Miley Cyrus’s Craziest Lyrics From ‘Bangerz,’ Analyzed
October 8, 2013
Indeed, investors have learned to ignore the lunacy and approach D.C. grandstanding with a certain amount of cynicism.Shutdown? What Shutdown? It’s Time to Buy U.S. Government Bonds!
September 23, 2013
Here proof of the lunacy of the maiden aunt would be sufficient.
But in his red eyes the flame of lunacy was slowly mounting.Louisiana Lou
William West Winter
Does not lunacy strike you, Bertie, as being a very eerie thing?The Stark Munro Letters
J. Stark Munro
It was folly, it was lunacy; but he could not resist it, for he dared not be alone.The Scapegoat
I used to be one of his staunchest supporters, but I draw the line at lunacy.Ireland as It Is
Robert John Buckley (AKA R.J.B.)
- (formerly) any severe mental illness
- foolishness or a foolish act
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for lunacy
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper