Such cave burials as these at once recall Abrahams purchase of the cave of Machpelah as recorded in Gen. 23.
Apart from the field of the cave Machpelah, at Hebron in the south, Gen., ch.
The sepulchre of Machpelah was the sole possession in the land of his adoption which he could bequeath to his descendants.
And Abraham buried Sarah in the cave of the field of Machpelah.
Abraham weighs to Ephron the four hundred shekels of silver which he had agreed to pay for the field of Machpelah.
The "cave of Machpelah which is before Mamre," of the Pisans.
She, doubtless, was laid by the side of Abraham and of Sarah, in the cave of Machpelah.
We climbed the crooked streets to the Mosque which covers the supposed site of the cave of Machpelah.
Like the other tombs in its neighbourhood, the cave of Machpelah has doubtless been opened and despoiled at an early epoch.
The present inhabitants of Hebron believe the cave of Machpelah is under a building in their city.
portion; double cave, the cave which Abraham bought, together with the field in which it stood, from Ephron the Hittite, for a family burying-place (Gen. 23). It is one of those Bible localities about the identification of which there can be no doubt. It was on the slope of a hill on the east of Hebron, "before Mamre." Here were laid the bodies of Abraham and Sarah, Isaac and Rebekah, Jacob and Leah (Gen. 23:19; 25:9; 49:31; 50:13). Over the cave an ancient Christian church was erected, probably in the time of Justinian, the Roman emperor. This church has been converted into a Mohammedan mosque. The whole is surrounded by the el-Haram i.e., "the sacred enclosure," about 200 feet long, 115 broad, and of an average height of about 50. This building, from the immense size of some of its stones, and the manner in which they are fitted together, is supposed by some to have been erected in the days of David or of Solomon, while others ascribe it to the time of Herod. It is looked upon as the most ancient and finest relic of Jewish architecture. On the floor of the mosque are erected six large cenotaphs as monuments to the dead who are buried in the cave beneath. Between the cenotaphs of Isaac and Rebekah there is a circular opening in the floor into the cavern below, the cave of Machpelah. Here it may be that the body of Jacob, which was embalmed in Egypt, is still preserved (much older embalmed bodies have recently been found in the cave of Deir el-Bahari in Egypt, see PHARAOH ØT0002923), though those of the others there buried may have long ago mouldered into dust. The interior of the mosque was visited by the Prince of Wales in 1862 by a special favour of the Mohammedan authorities. An interesting account of this visit is given in Dean Stanley's Lectures on the Jewish Church. It was also visited in 1866 by the Marquis of Bute, and in 1869 by the late Emperor (Frederick) of Germany, then the Crown Prince of Prussia. In 1881 it was visited by the two sons of the Prince of Wales, accompanied by Sir C. Wilson and others. (See Palestine Quarterly Statement, October 1882).