- facial cosmetics, as eye shadow or lipstick.
- cosmetics used on other parts of the body, as to cover birthmarks.
- the application of cosmetics.
- the ensemble or effect created by such application: Her makeup was subtle but very effective.
- the total ensemble of cosmetics, wigs, costumes, etc., used by an actor or other performer.
- the manner of being made up or put together; composition: the makeup of a team; the makeup of a situation.
- physical or mental constitution: the makeup of a criminal.
- the art, technique, or process of arranging or laying out, as pages in a publication.
- the appearance of a page, book, newspaper, or the like, resulting from the arrangement and the variation in size and style of the printed elements: The makeup would be helped by a picture in this corner.
- Printing. the arrangement of set type, cuts, etc., into columns or pages.
- an examination, assignment, or the like, given to offset a student's previous absence or failure.
- an amount owed; balance.
Origin of makeup
First recorded in 1805–15; noun use of verb phrase make up
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for makeup
Storage containers hold a treasure trove of mascara, lipstick, blush, and other makeup.
Her services include a makeup session for a night out for $50.
Her daughter, Elaina, 24, a trained costume designer and makeup artist, helps out by sewing clothes.
Hair and makeup have evolved stylistically along with the clothes we wear.
How have hair and makeup styles for women evolved over the last century?
We shall reflect the compassion that is so much a part of your makeup.
We must cultivate kindness, if there is little of it in our makeup.Dollars and Sense
Col. Wm. C. Hunter
He could play Scrooge in Christmas Carol without any makeup at all.The Cosmic Computer
Henry Beam Piper
He got up and made to leave when I noticed that my makeup compact was gone.The Capgras Shift</p>
Learn the art of costuming yourself for your part, and learn the art of makeup.The Art of Stage Dancing