- not satisfied or content with currently prevailing conditions or circumstances.
- dissatisfied with the existing government, administration, system, etc.
- a malcontent person, especially one who is chronically discontented or dissatisfied.
Origin of malcontent
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
3. grumbler, complainer, faultfinder.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for malcontent
In politics, for example, he may be a malcontent; in religion an heretic.
Where could be a better man for the purposes of a malcontent prince?The Chronicles of Count Antonio
Every malcontent in Paris knew that Napoleon held the key of the situation.Talleyrand
The count was betrayed into the hands of his rival by some malcontent nobles.Female Warriors, Vol. I (of 2)
Ellen C. Clayton
The description that the malcontent gives of himself in iii.The Works of John Marston
- disgusted or discontented
- a person who is malcontent
C16: from Old French
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for malcontent
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper