- the state of being a mother; motherhood.
- motherly quality; motherliness.
- a section of a hospital devoted to the care of women at childbirth and of their newborn infants.
- of, relating to, or for the period in which a woman is pregnant or has just given birth to a child.
- for mothers during and after childbirth or for the care of their newborn babies: a maternity hospital.
- for wear by pregnant women: maternity clothes.
Origin of maternity
Examples from the Web for maternity
“He was talking about getting rid of Savannah two weeks off her maternity leave,” says the NBC News type.Behind the ‘Today’ Show’s Latest Meltdown
November 20, 2014
Maternity leave and all that stuff is super important to me.Q&A With Designer Rachel Roy
November 3, 2014
Berman urges pork producers to call them “maternity pens” instead.The Sleazy War on the Humane Society
Center for Public Integrity
August 18, 2014
Earlier this week, a Daily Beast writer criticized Dita Von Teese's range of new 'sexy' maternity bras for women.Dita Von Teese, My Breasts Are All Yours
August 8, 2014
GAZA CITY — A makeshift refugee camp around Shifa Hospital is gradually insinuating itself into the maternity ward.Power Shortages Hit Gaza Maternity Ward
July 24, 2014
Surely you have not yet made many calls on the maternity level.
Originally educated for maternity they had to be re-educated for service.
In this expectation we set out in search of a Maternity Home.The Woman Thou Gavest Me
Hence they are of one paternity, though not of one maternity.
Frank Corson got the call as he was leaving the maternity ward.Ten From Infinity
Paul W. Fairman
- the characteristics associated with motherhood; motherliness
- (modifier) relating to pregnant women or women at the time of childbirtha maternity ward
Word Origin and History for maternity
1610s, "quality or condition of being a mother," from French maternité "motherhood" (15c.), from Medieval Latin maternitatem (nominative maternitas) "motherhood," from Latin maternus (see maternal). Used from 1893 as a quasi-adjective in reference to garments designed for pregnant women.
- The state of being a mother; motherhood.
- The feelings or characteristics associated with being a mother; motherliness.
- A maternity ward.
- Relating to pregnancy, childbirth, or the first months of motherhood.