[mahy-er or, German, mahy-uh r for 1; mey-er for 2; mahy-er for 3]
- Jul·ius Rob·ert von [jool-yuh s rob-ert von; German yoo-lee-oo s roh-bert fuh n] /ˈdʒul yəs ˈrɒb ərt vɒn; German ˈyu li ʊs ˈroʊ bɛrt fən/, 1814–78, German physicist.
- Louis B(urt) [burt] /bɜrt/, 1885–1957, U.S. motion-picture producer, born in Russia.
- Maria Goep·pert [goh-pert] /ˈgoʊ pərt/, 1906–72, U.S. physicist, born in Poland: Nobel prize 1963.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for mayer
Eight tourists were trapped inside until Mayer let them out, and buildings in the area were evacuated.Weird Washington Monument History
May 12, 2014
It was October 1983, and Mayer was a young Wall Street Journal reporter based in Beirut.Beirut Barracks vs. Benghazi
May 9, 2014
Page and Mayer are next-pats who have totally integrated with the “locals.”
If there is a power couple—though they would cringe at the description—in town, it would be Mayer Shacter and Susan Page.
Mayer cited two instances as models of how corporations can successfully defuse a catastrophic mistake by public disclosure.What ‘60 Minutes’ Must Do About the Benghazi Disaster
November 12, 2013
Mayer came to see me in profound despair, and told me all about it.My Double Life
"I hope you are right, Mayer," he said, and looked at his watch.
He at once set to work, through Mayer and his men, to locate Brooks.
That man Mayer is observing us with an opera glass, from a window of the house.
He turned toward the door, followed by Mayer, and in a moment they had left the room.
- (German ˈmaiər) Julius Robert von (ˈjuːliʊs ˈroːbɛrt fɔn). 1814–78, German physicist whose research in thermodynamics (1842) contributed to the discovery of the law of conservation of energy
- (ˈmeɪə) Louis B (urt). 1885–1957, US film producer, born in Russia; founder and first head (1924–48) of the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) film company
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012