- Robert King,1910–2003, U.S. sociologist.
- Thomas,1915–68, U.S. poet and religious writer, born in France.
- a borough of Greater London, England.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for merton
“She was the closest thing I felt like I had to a daughter,” Merton told The Daily Beast on Sunday.
That Brayden will not get to grow up with his big sister is perhaps what hurts the Engels the most, Merton said.
Merton said that on Friday, Olivia had been excited to get home from school and make a gingerbread house.
Mr. Merton was too sensible to pursue that thought further for the present.
Mrs. Merton had undertaken the duties that appertain to the "hissing urn."
Evelyn now stood within the library of which Mrs. Merton had spoken.
Miss Merton was moved and surprised by Evelyn's earnestness.
Mrs. Merton kissed her cheek, and smiled kindly on her, but said little.
- a borough in SW Greater London. Pop: 191 400 (2003 est). Area: 38 sq km (15 sq miles)
- Thomas (Feverel). 1915–68, US writer, monk, and mystic; noted esp for his autobiography The Seven Storey Mountain (1948)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012