- containing the methyl group.
Origin of methyl
First recorded in 1835–45; by back formation from methylene
- a combining form occurring in the names of chemical compounds in which the methyl group is present: methylamine.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for methyl
This process, known as epigenetics, involves the addition of small chemical tags known as methyl groups to the DNA double helix.How Famines Make Future Generations Fat
May 11, 2014
With this source also the positions of chloroform and iodide of methyl are inverted.Fragments of science, V. 1-2
This oil is methylo-salicylic ether, or salicylate of methyl.
Obtained by the action of zinc upon iodide of methyl, as zinc-ethyl.
There is the fact that methyl chloride could have produced the effect we felt.The Blue Ghost Mystery
Harold Leland Goodwin
The action of acid is equally characteristic for methyl violet.
- (modifier) of, consisting of, or containing the monovalent group of atoms CH 3
- an organometallic compound in which methyl groups are bound directly to a metal atom
C19: from French méthyle, back formation from methylene
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for methyl
univalent hydrocarbon radical, 1840, from German methyl (1840) or directly from French méthyle, back-formation from French méthylène (see methylene).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The alkyl group, often a univalent radical, CH3, derived from methane and occurring in many important organic compounds.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- The radical CH3, derived from methane.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.