- a skirt, dress, or coat, of mid-calf length.
- of the length of a midiskirt.
Origin of midi
extracted from midiskirt
- the south of France.
Origin of Midi
< French: midday, south; Old French, equivalent to mi- middle, half (< Latin medius; see mid1) + di day (< Latin diem, accusative of diēs)
- Musical Instrument Digital Interface: a standard means of sending digitally encoded information about music between electronic devices, as between synthesizers and computers.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for midi
We lost $500,000 worth of gear, including a beautiful piano from the 1900s, guitars, recordings, a MIDI console.Taylor Momsen on Female Sexuality and Her Transformation from ‘Gossip Girl’ to Rock Star
March 18, 2014
Yet even for her the sea could not always be calm, or the skies of the Midi and the Riviera blue.Sacrifice
Stephen French Whitman
He was born in the Midi, as they call the southern part of France.A Journey Through France in War Time
Joseph G. Butler, Jr.
If you have travelled in the Midi you have seen it, and you are to see it again now.The Nabob
They're talkers, you know, in the Midi, and they tell of what they've done."Fin Tireur"
She stopped in her swift flight to him through the dusk of the Midi garden.The Wind Bloweth
Brian Oswald Donn-Byrne
- (of a skirt, coat, etc) reaching to below the knee or midcalf
- (as noun)she wore her new midi
C20: from mid-; on the model of maxi and mini
- the south of France
- Canal du Midi a canal in S France, extending from the River Garonne at Toulouse to the Mediterranean at Sète and providing a link between the Mediterranean and Atlantic coasts: built between 1666 and 1681. Length: 181 km (150 miles)
- (modifier) a generally accepted specification for the external control of electronic musical instrumentsa MIDI synthesizer; a MIDI system
C20: from m (usical) i (nstrument) d (igital) i (nterface)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for midi
1983, acronym for Musical Instrument Digital Interface.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper