- a minicomputer.
- anything of a small, reduced, or miniature size.
- of the length of a miniskirt.
Origin of mini
- a combining form with the meanings “of a small or reduced size in comparison with others of its kind” (minicalculator; minicar; minigun); “limited in scope, intensity, or duration” (miniboom; minicourse; minirecession); (of clothing) “short, not reaching the knee” (minidress; miniskirt).
Origin of mini-
Examples from the Web for mini
Elle magazine shot an editorial in September, one picture revealing a teacup pig sitting pretty by a mini Tyler Alexandra bag.Handbags: The More You Pay, The Smaller They Shrink
December 29, 2014
Restaurant described latkes as “Mini hash browns,” which he thinks is why they are so universally beloved.I Ate Potato Pancakes Til I Plotzed
December 17, 2014
She is smiling, a pink-striped hat on her head and a mini rainbow lollipop sticking out of her mouth.Even Grade School Kids Are Protesting the Garner Killing Now
December 6, 2014
With this mini printer, you can print your favorite shots straight from your iPhone.The Daily Beast’s 2014 Holiday Gift Guide: For the Taylor Swift in Your Life
November 29, 2014
The mini- Monet, as many have come to know him, had his first solo exhibition shortly after.Blessed or Cursed? Child Prodigies Reveal All
November 17, 2014
But Mini did not cry; he had known so many things so much sadder.
They said she would be very like Mini, and there was reason why in her wretched infancy.
And I, thinking that Mini must get rid of her false fear, had her brought out.
It was once more autumn and we had made arrangements for our Mini's marriage.
So I got a mini tape recorder and I started to tape her when she gave me permission.Makers
- (of a woman's dress, skirt, etc) very short; thigh-length
- (prenominal) small; miniature
- something very small of its kind, esp a small car or a miniskirt
- smaller or shorter than the standard sizeminibus; miniskirt
Word Origin and History for mini
1961, abbreviation of mini-car, a small car made by British Leyland (formerly British Motor Corp.). As an abbreviation of miniskirt, it is attested from 1966. The vogue for mini- as a prefix in English word coinage dates from c.1960.
- Small; miniature:minilaparotomy.