- to legalize as money.
- to coin into money: to monetize gold.
- to give the character of money to.
- Economics. to convert (a debt, especially the national debt) into currency, especially by issuing government securities or notes.
Also especially British, mon·e·tise.
Origin of monetize
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for monetization
The Android operating system is “in the early stages of monetization,” he acknowledges.Nine Juiciest Bits From Google CEO Larry Page’s Fortune Interview
December 12, 2012
It is the fact of monetization for one of the metals, and demonetization for the other.The Arena
- to establish as the legal tender of a country
- to give a legal value to (a coin)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for monetization
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper