- of or relating to a monolith.
- made of only one stone: a monolithic column.
- consisting of one piece; solid or unbroken: a boat with a monolithic hull.
- constructed of monoliths or huge blocks of stone: the monolithic monuments of the New Stone Age.
- characterized by massiveness, total uniformity, rigidity, invulnerability, etc.: a monolithic society.
- Electronics. of or relating to an integrated circuit formed in a single chip.
Origin of monolithic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for monolithic
The gift was a cynical, symbolic, and contentless gambit in a monolithic USSR.Obama’s All Eisenhower On Russia
March 10, 2014
For one, the GOP needs to realize that there is no monolithic way of thinking in black America.An Inconvenient Truth: Neither Party Is Serious About Diversity
December 6, 2013
All these divisions provide further proof that the myth of the monolithic “Israel Lobby” is just that.Implications of AIPAC’s Lobbying on Syria
Brent E. Sasley
September 12, 2013
The most striking thing about the latter, after all, is its monolithic conformity.Twitchy! Michelle Malkin's Phony War
April 10, 2013
Hamas is not a monolithic organization, nor is it as dogmatic as it is often depicted.Unify the Palestinians, Neutralize Hamas
April 4, 2012
The forms shown by Figs. 121 to 123 are for monolithic curb and gutter.Concrete Construction
Halbert P. Gillette
Formerly there were inside the mosque 1200 monolithic columns, now there are only 850.Recollections of a Long Life
This is the monolithic column that was reared by Washington and his associates.Speeches of Benjamin Harrison
He poised himself, as if it were, on the monolithic stability of his legs.The Return
Walter de la Mare
The idea of the origin of these monolithic structures from some common source seems to have suggested itself to many minds.The Archaeology and Prehistoric Annals of Scotland
- of, relating to, or like a monolith
- characterized by hugeness, impenetrability, or intractabilitya monolithic government
- electronics (of an integrated circuit) having all components manufactured into or on top of a single chip of siliconSee hybrid (def. 6)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for monolithic
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper