- Christopher Darlington,1890–1957, U.S. writer.
- Edward Williams,1838–1923, U.S. chemist and physicist.
- John, Viscount Morley of Blackburn,1838–1923, English statesman, journalist, biographer, and critic.
- Thomas,1557–1603?, English composer, especially of madrigals.
- a male given name.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for morley
Correspondent Morley Safer and Picard suggested that Mark, “of all the people that should have known… should have known.”Madoff Book's 9 Juiciest Bits
October 21, 2011
Morley Safer has been a 60 Minutes correspondent since December 1970.Why Smart People Are Dumb
February 11, 2010
Morley is a stunning storyteller, although Come Sunday should not be attempted without a Kleenex box at hand.The Daily Beast Recommends
The Daily Beast
May 26, 2009
“The alternative is he's just getting old, his male hormone is getting down,” Morley said.What's Eating Steve Jobs?
January 6, 2009
I do not care whether Lord Morley made this statement or did not make it.'Tis Sixty Years Since
Charles Francis Adams
It was in the late 'seventies, I think, that I first saw Mr. Morley.A Writer's Recollections (In Two Volumes), Volume II
Mrs. Humphry Ward
Morley made it a point to win the affection and goodwill of his father-in-law.
I am as sure as Hephzy is that Ardelia did not know what Morley had done.
I asked if you knew where Miss Morley had gone and where she was at the present time?
- an industrial town in N England, in Leeds unitary authority, West Yorkshire. Pop: 54 051 (2001)
- Edward Williams. 1838–1923, US chemist who collaborated with A. A. Michelson in the Michelson-Morley experiment
- John, Viscount Morley of Blackburn. 1838–1923, British Liberal statesman and writer; secretary of state for India (1905–10)
- Robert. 1908–92, British actor. His many films include Major Barbara (1940), Oscar Wilde (1960), and The Blue Bird (1976)
- Thomas. ?1557–?1603, English composer and organist, noted for his madrigals and his textbook on music, A Plaine and Easie Introduction to Practicall Musicke (1597)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- American chemist and physicist who with Albert Michelson disproved the existence of ether, the hypothetical medium of electromagnetic waves. Their work served as the starting point for Albert Einstein's development of the theory of relativity.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.