- Italian Napoli. a seaport in SW Italy.
- Bay of, Italian Gol·fo di Na·po·li [gawl-faw dee nah-paw-lee] /ˈgɔl fɔ di ˈnɑ pɔ li/. a bay in SW Italy: Naples located here. 22 miles (35 km) long.
- a town in S Florida.
[kam-pey-nee-uh, -peyn-yuh; Italian kahm-pah-nyah]
- a region in SW Italy. 5214 sq. mi. (13,505 sq. km). Capital: Naples.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for naples
Several Italian cities, including Naples, already have a civil union registry.Italian Transgender Ruling Gives Green Light to Civil Unions
Barbie Latza Nadeau
June 16, 2014
The Navy recently relocated 17 families from areas around Naples who were living in areas they deemed simply too risky.The Mafia Plants Death in Italy’s Land of Mozzarella
Barbie Latza Nadeau
March 20, 2014
Reach the Aeolians by ferry from Naples, or Milazzo on Sicily.It’s a Big, Big World: Sights That Make You Feel Small
December 24, 2013
She started and finished her journey of 18,063.22 miles at the Piazza Plebescito in Naples, Italy.
Jack Tyman, who had come to D.C. from Naples, Fla., thought the Texas senator had done the United States a favor.At the Values Voter Summit, It’s YOLO Conservatism
October 12, 2013
It was not a revision of the serenata which he wrote at Naples, but an entirely new work.Handel
Edward J. Dent
The whole kingdom of Naples was thus delivered by Nelson from the French.
In another letter he expressed his sense of the miserable state of Naples.
But the immediate fate of Naples, as he well knew, hung upon the issue.
Before the battle of Aboukir the Court at Naples had been trembling for its existence.
- a port in SW Italy, capital of Campania region, on the Bay of Naples: the third largest city in the country; founded by Greeks in the 6th century bc; incorporated into the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies in 1140 and its capital (1282–1503); university (1224). Pop: 1 004 500 (2001)Ancient name: Neapolis Italian name: Napoli Related adjective: Neapolitan
- Bay of Naples an inlet of the Tyrrhenian Sea in the SW coast of Italy
- a region of SW Italy: includes the islands of Capri and Ischia. Chief town: Naples. Pop.: 5 725 098 (2003 est). Area: 13 595 sq km (5248 sq miles)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for naples
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
City in southwestern Italy; a major seaport and commercial, industrial, and tourist center.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.