- a city in and the capital of Nièvre, in central France, on the Loire River: Romanesque church.
- a department in central France. 2659 sq. mi. (6885 sq. km). Capital: Nevers.
- a former province in central France. Capital: Nevers.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for nevers
Nevers is a revelation for us both, a wonderful town nestled on the Loire and bursting with cathedrals, chateaux and history.Discovering The Charms Of La France Profonde
June 9, 2014
Now came the narrative of Bernadette's sojourn at Nevers, and then her death there.The Three Cities Trilogy, Complete
If you had told me before, we would have gone on to Nevers and slept there.The Memoires of Casanova, Complete
Jacques Casanova de Seingalt
Travelling south through Nevers, we should excite no suspicion.No Surrender!
G. A. Henty
The notes which went to the "nevers" were particularly troublesome.General John Regan
George A. Birmingham
The face of Nevers was as dark as a thunder cloud after the election.In School and Out
- a city in central France: capital of the former duchy of Nivernais; engineering industry. Pop: 40 932 (1999)
- a department of central France, in Burgundy region. Capital: Nevers. Pop: 222 298 (2003 est). Area: 6888 sq km (2686 sq miles)
- a former province of central France, around Nevers
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012