- any of a race of dwarfs who possessed a treasure captured by Siegfried.
- the followers of Siegfried.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for nibelung
The second Wagner course relates to the "Ring of the Nibelung."The Pianolist
With the Pipins of "Nivella," we come upon a word in consonance with "Nibelung."
It has been stolen by a Nibelung, and with the golden treasure he can rule the world.
Taking the Nibelung ring from his finger, he put it upon hers.
But "The Ring of the Nibelung" produced vehement discussion.The Complete Opera Book
- any of the race of dwarfs who possessed a treasure hoard stolen by Siegfried
- one of Siegfried's companions or followers
- (in the Nibelungenlied) a member of the family of Gunther, king of Burgundy
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012