- the branch of literature comprising works of narrative prose dealing with or offering opinions or conjectures upon facts and reality, including biography, history, and the essay (opposed to fiction and distinguished from poetry and drama).
- works of this class: She had read all of his novels but none of his nonfiction.
- (especially in cataloging books, as in a library or bookstore) all writing or books not fiction, poetry, or drama, including nonfictive narrative prose and reference works; the broadest category of written works.
Origin of nonfiction
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for nonfiction
I was writing Lorrie Moore knock-off short stories before I switched to nonfiction.Meghan Daum On Tackling The Unspeakable Parts Of Life
December 6, 2014
The volume of writing has allowed me to branch out into nonfiction articles as well.
I feel unmotivated to work on the short story, rather than do nothing, I simply switch to the novel draft or a nonfiction article.
But Dyer, in all his wide range—four novels and six, yes, genre-defying works of nonfiction—can indeed be classified.Geoff Dyer at Sea: Unmoored but on Target
Melissa Holbrook Pierson
May 21, 2014
At age 14, she self-published a nonfiction book, “The Year of a Thousand Colors,” which documented her time spent living in India.Is Sex Assault a Crime in the Ivy League?
May 10, 2014
In the best of her fiction she is truer to life than he is in a good part of his nonfiction.
Whether fiction or nonfiction, as claimed by the author, this book realizes the relationships between Plains Indian and buffalo.
In addition, a large library of books on fiction and nonfiction subjects is maintained.Sequoia [California] National Park
United States Department of the Interior
- writing dealing with facts and events rather than imaginative narration
- (modifier) relating to or denoting nonfiction
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012