- full of or containing poison: poisonous air; a poisonous substance.
- harmful; destructive: poisonous to animals; poisonous rumors.
- deeply malicious; malevolent: poisonous efforts.
Origin of poisonous
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for nonpoisonous
(e) The poisonous portions are not distinguishable from the nonpoisonous, either macroscopically or microscopically.
Her second-stage rockets were also of the nonpoisonous variety, because she fired them at a bare 60,000 feet.Space Tug
Several species of nonpoisonous snakes were more common but were nowhere really abundant.Camps and Trails in China
Roy Chapman Andrews and Yvette Borup Andrews
- not having the effects or qualities of a poison
- having the effects or qualities of a poison
- capable of killing or inflicting injury; venomous
- corruptive or malicious
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for nonpoisonous
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Relating to or caused by a poison.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.