- to refer briefly to; name, specify, or speak of: Don't forget to mention her contribution to the project.
- to cite formally for a meritorious act or achievement: He was mentioned in dispatches from the war zone.
- a direct or incidental reference; a mentioning: to make mention of a place.
- formal recognition for a meritorious act or achievement: Her entry in the science competition received a special mention.
- not to mention, in addition to; without mentioning: We were served a sumptuous entree, not to mention the other courses.
Origin of mention
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
- to refer to or speak about briefly or incidentally
- to acknowledge or honour
- not to mention something to say nothing of something too obvious to mention
- a recognition or acknowledgment
- a slight reference or allusionhe only got a mention in the article; the author makes no mention of that
- the act of mentioning
- philosophy logic linguistics the occurrence (of an expression) in such a context that it is itself referred to rather than performing its own linguistic function. In " Fido " names Fido, the word Fido is first mentioned and then used to refer to the dogCompare use (def. 18) See also formal mode
- mainly Australian and NZ a preliminary hearing in a court of law
Word Origin and History for not to mention
c.1300, "a note, reference," from Old French mencion "mention, memory, speech," from Latin mentionem (nominative mentio) "a calling to mind, a speaking of, a making mention," from root of Old Latin minisci "to think," related to mens (genitive mentis) "mind," from PIE root *men- "think" (see mind (n.)).
1520s, from mention (n.) or else from Middle French mentionner, from Old French mencion. Related: Mentioned; mentioning; mentionable. Don't mention it as a conventional reply to expressions of gratitude or apology is attested from 1840.
Idioms and Phrases with not to mention
not to mention
Also, not to speak of; to say nothing of. In addition to, besides what's already been said. For example, I don't think the voters will want that big program, not to mention the cost, or Dave teaches trumpet and trombone, not to speak of other brass instruments, or Their house is worth at least a million, to say nothing of their other assets.