- a single performance in one locale, as by a touring theatrical company, before moving on to the next engagement.
- a place where such a performance is given.
- a single, unrepeated sexual encounter, as one lasting for just one night.
- a participant in such an encounter.
Origin of one-night stand
An Americanism dating back to 1875–80
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for one-night stand
The general atmosphere of the parlor reminded me of the stage-settings one comes across in one-night-stand theatres.My Actor-Husband
- a performance given only once at any one place
- a sexual encounter lasting only one evening or night
- a person regarded as being only suitable for such an encounter
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012