- with respect to origin; by origin: Originally he came from California.
- at the origin; at first: Originally this was to be in three volumes.
- in the first place; primarily: Originally nomads, they first learned agriculture from the missionaries.
- in an original, novel, or distinctively individual manner: Originally planned houses are much in demand.
- Archaic. from the beginning; from the first; inherently.
Origin of originally
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for originally
This article was adapted from one originally published by IranWire.What an Iranian Funeral Tells Us About the Wars in Iraq
January 6, 2015
He was not originally so uninhibited, however, as can now be seen in his “lost” novel, Skylight.The Lost Novel of Nobel-Winner José Saramago
January 5, 2015
This article is adapted from one by Masud Moheb originally published by IranWire on 26 December 2014.Iran’s Becoming a Footloose Nation as Dance Lessons Spread
January 2, 2015
This article is adapted from one originally published by IranWire.50 Shades of Iran: The Mullahs’ Kinky Fantasies about Sex in the West
IranWire, Shima Sharabi
January 1, 2015
However, to the right, if the character they love was originally white, then they should stay white forever.Rush Limbaugh’s Fear of a Black James Bond
December 29, 2014
The Law of God was originally written in man's heart at creation.An Explanation of Luther's Small Catechism
There is no map that shows these roads as they originally were, but the changes are not so many as you might think.The Trail Book
Perhaps this had originally been the mainspring of the understanding between them.Little Dorrit
Silchester was originally a British stronghold, and was called by them Calleva.English Villages
P. H. Ditchfield
But who made them, and for what purpose were they originally made?Freeland
- in the first place
- in an original way
- with reference to the origin or beginning
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012