- stuffed or filled to excess.
- Furniture. having the entire frame covered by stuffing and upholstery, so that only decorative woodwork or the like is exposed: an overstuffed sofa.
- filled with tedious or extraneous material; overlong: an overstuffed biography.
- obese; corpulent: an overstuffed man who was a compulsive eater.
Origin of overstuffed
- to force too much into: If you overstuff your suitcase, the fastenings may not hold.
- Furniture. to cover completely with deep upholstery.
Origin of overstuff
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for over-stuffed
The over-stuffed furniture of the four-room apartment was sold.Gigolo
Lo, Finny, said she, have a seat on the over-stuffed furniture.Betty Lee, Sophomore
David Goodger (email@example.com)
Three doors away, the old queen lay on the heap of over-stuffed mattresses, nestled in the center of an immense four-poster bed.Captives of the Flame
Samuel R. Delany
There was a scurrying aboard ship for couches and over-stuffed chairs.Hunters Out of Space
Joseph Everidge Kelleam
- to force too much into
- to cover (furniture) entirely with upholstery
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for over-stuffed
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper