- to make necessary repairs on; restore to serviceable condition: My car was overhauled by an expert mechanic.
- to investigate or examine thoroughly for repair or revision: Next year we're going to overhaul the curriculum.
- to gain upon, catch up with, or overtake, as in a race.
- to haul or turn over for examination.
- to slacken (a rope) by hauling in the opposite direction to that in which the rope was drawn taut.
- to release the blocks of (a tackle).
- Also o·ver·haul·ing. a general examination and repair: The state roads were badly in need of a major overhaul.
Origin of overhaul
Examples from the Web for overhaul
Dysfunction in the VA scheduling system has been the target of watchdog reports for years—without prompting an overhaul.Did the VA Pay Out Bonuses for Screwing Veterans?
May 12, 2014
The health-care system is broken and in need of an overhaul, not a tune-up.Obamacare May Be Dangerous to Your Health
November 30, 2013
The achievement system has seen an overhaul, but not for the better.Xbox One Review: Big Brother Is Watching You
November 22, 2013
To overhaul the business model—and the focus—of our fourth estate.A Challenge to New Media Moguls Pierre Omidyar and Jeff Bezos
November 4, 2013
Neither the Bastille nor the Beatles could inspire us to overhaul life itself.Russell Brand: Not Quite a Messiah
October 28, 2013
The cruisers did not overhaul the little vessel as rapidly as Madden had anticipated.The Cruise of the Dry Dock
T. S. Stribling
While breakfast was in the course of preparation he went out to overhaul his saddle.The Night Riders
I don't think that craft could overhaul the Lion, if they tried ever so.Romance
Joseph Conrad and F.M. Hueffer
Not much, only I would like to have you overhaul my knapsack for me.Winning His Way
Charles Carleton Coffin
Whilst they were absent I carried the captain into the hold and left him to overhaul it.The Frozen Pirate
W. Clark Russell
- to examine carefully for faults, necessary repairs, etc
- to make repairs or adjustments to (a car, machine, etc)
- to overtake
- a thorough examination and repair
Word Origin and History for overhaul
1826, from overhaul (v.).