[puht-nuh, pat‐, puht-nah]
- a city in and the capital of Bihar, in NE India, on the Ganges.
- a state in NE India. 38,301 sq. mi. (99,200 sq. km). Capital: Patna.
- a city in the central part of this state.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for patna
I had a hard time of it too, along of that rotten old Patna racket.'
There were three weeks and five days' pay owing him as mate of the Patna.
In Patna some have already begun to identify him with Vishnu.
In 1621 a college was founded in Agra, and a station established at Patna.The Jesuits, 1534-1921
Thomas J. Campbell
Bathurst stopped for a day at Patna to see Rujub and his daughter.Rujub, the Juggler
G. A. Henty
- a city in NE India, capital of Bihar state, on the River Ganges: founded in the 5th century bc; university (1917); centre of a rice-growing region. Pop: 1 376 950 (2001)
- a state of NE India: consists of part of the Ganges plain; important for rice: lost the S to the new state of Jharkhand in 2000. Capital: Patna. Pop: 82 878 796 (2001). Area: 99 225 sq km (38 301 sq miles)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012