- any of several plants having round or roundish leaves, as the navelwort.
Origin of pennywort
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for pennywort
The flowers of the Pennywort are greenish-white, tinged with red.
Some ferns and the pennywort will grow on the wall close to the roof.The Open Air
The Pennywort is one of those plants with a creeping stem, which lies along the surface of the ground.
According to Gerarde this cymbalari was an aquatic species of pennywort, highly poisonous.
Just where I am staying now the pennywort grows on every wall attached to the mortar between the cobbles.Field and Hedgerow
- Also called: navelwort a crassulaceous Eurasian rock plant, Umbilicus rupestris (or Cotyledon umbilicus), with whitish-green tubular flowers and rounded leaves
- a marsh plant, Hydrocotyle vulgaris, of Europe and North Africa, having circular leaves and greenish-pink flowers: family Hydrocotylaceae
- a gentianaceous plant, Obolaria virginica, of E North America, with fleshy scalelike leaves and small white or purplish flowers
- any of various other plants with rounded penny-like leaves
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012