- Also piaf·fer. a cadenced trot executed on one spot, with a well-elevated leg action.
- (of a horse) to execute such a movement.
- (of a rider) to cause a horse to piaffe.
- to cause (a horse) to piaffe.
Origin of piaffe
First recorded in 1755–65, piaffe is from the French word piaffer; imitative
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- dressage a passage done on the spot
C18: from French, from piaffer to strut
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012