- a large photograph, as of a sexually attractive person, suitable for pinning on a wall.
- a person in such a photograph.
- a device or fixture that is fastened to a wall, as a lamp.
- of, relating to, or appearing in a pinup: a pinup girl.
- designed or suitable for hanging or fastening on a wall: a pinup lamp.
Origin of pinup
1670–80 for general senses; 1940–45 as photograph of a pretty woman; noun, adj. use of pin up
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for pinup
Maybe--but he exploited his profile as effectively as any pinup.Alfred Hitchcock’s Fade to Black: The Great Director’s Final Days
December 13, 2014
Or pop in and visit one of the 17 Bettie Page clothing stores across the country boasting apparel inspired by the pinup beauty.
To escape, the Page girls would mimic poses of pinup models in magazines, often posing in the yard in their undergarments.
The Daily Pic: Katrin Heichel paints the vanishing world of the pinup.Laddish Painting, from a Woman
August 8, 2013
The USO was never shy about bringing “Pinup Patriots” to consort with war-weary troops.Stars Who Entertain the Troops
October 6, 2011