- capable of being carried; portable.
- having or pertaining to the power or function of carrying.
- Also called portative organ. a small portable pipe organ used especially during the Middle Ages and the Renaissance.
Origin of portative
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a less common word for portable
- concerned with the act of carrying
C14: from French, from Latin portāre to carry
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012