[pawrts-muh th, pohrts-]
- a seaport in S Hampshire, in S England, on the English Channel: chief British naval station.
- a seaport in SE Virginia: navy yard.
- a seaport in SE New Hampshire: naval base; Russian-Japanese peace treaty 1905.
- a city in S Ohio, on the Ohio River.
- a town in SE Rhode Island.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for portsmouth
Stampy, the biggest YouTube star this side of the pond, is also known as 23-year-old Joseph Garrett from Portsmouth.The Addictive Curse of ‘Let’s Plays’
November 11, 2014
Indeed, Portsmouth Middle School students—like the journalists reporting on the Smartie-snorting epidemic—are late to the party.Parents Panic Over Old Fake Smarties Snorting Craze
January 23, 2014
He did succeed for a while in owning Portsmouth FC, the even more ailing British football club.Russian Corruption is Poisoning Britain
April 4, 2013
In Portsmouth, a down-ballot ticket-mate, county attorney candidate Joe Plaia, joined Maggie as she mingled with voters.The Democrats’ Last Woman Standing: New Hampshire’s Maggie Hassan
November 4, 2012
In Portsmouth, a few hours later, the debt was $51,000 for “every man woman and child in America.”Stumping in New Hampshire, McCain Tells Vets Romney ‘Must. Win.’
September 18, 2012
He took the enemy's ship, and carried it in triumph into Portsmouth.Tales And Novels, Volume 5 (of 10)
Full of these ideas, he hurried to Portsmouth in pursuit of Virginia's father.Tales And Novels, Volume 3 (of 10)
At Portsmouth, Nelson at length found news of the combined fleet.The Life of Horatio Lord Nelson
There were Papists, too, amongst us, who were compelled to go as far as Portsmouth for their Mass.
But there were other sights in Portsmouth besides the red-coats and their Governor.
- Informal name: Pompey a port in S England, in Portsmouth unitary authority, Hampshire, on the English Channel: Britain's chief naval base; university (1992). Pop: 187 056 (2001)
- a unitary authority in S England, in Hampshire. Pop: 188 700 (2003 est). Area: 37 sq km (14 sq miles)
- a port in SE Virginia, on the Elizabeth River: naval base; shipyards. Pop: 99 617 (2003 est)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012