- of or relating to a possessor or to possession: registration of possessory claims.
- arising from possession: a possessory interest.
- having possession: possessory landholdings.
Origin of possessory
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for possessory
It abhors the absence of proprietary or possessory rights as a kind of vacuum.
They could be possessed even by wrong, and possessory remedies were given for them.
Furthermore, the only right the gentes claimed in them was a possessory one.The Prehistoric World
E. A. Allen
Modern German statutes have followed in the same path so far as to give the possessory remedies to tenants and some others.
A way, until it becomes a right of way, is just as little susceptible of being held by a possessory title as a contract.
- of, relating to, or having possession
- law arising out of, depending upon, or concerned with possessiona possessory title
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012