- prepared for pregnancy, as the lining of the uterus prior to menstruation or in the early stages of gestation itself; progravid.
- of, noting, or characteristic of the action of progesterone; inducing a progravid state.
Origin of progestational
1920–25; pro-1 + gestational
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- of or relating to the phase of the menstrual cycle, lasting approximately 14 days, during which the uterus is prepared for pregnancy by the secretion of progesterone from the corpus luteum
- preceding gestation; before pregnancy
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Of or relating to the phase of the menstrual cycle immediately following ovulation, characterized by secretion of progesterone.
- Of or relating to progesterone and its actions.
- Having actions similar to progesterone. Used of a drug.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.