[rah-boul, ruh-, rah-boul]
- a seaport on NE New Britain island, in the Bismarck Archipelago, Papua New Guinea.
- the largest island in the Bismarck Archipelago, Papua New Guinea, in the W central Pacific Ocean. About 14,600 sq. mi. (37,814 sq. km). Capital: Rabaul.
- a city in central Connecticut.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for rabaul
Herbertshohe and Rabaul, the seat of Government, have been garrisoned and a base has been established at Simpsonshafen.
- a port in Papua New Guinea, on NE New Britain Island, in the Bismarck Archipelago: capital of the Territory of New Guinea until 1941; almost surrounded by volcanoes. Pop: 17 855 (2001 est)
- an island in the S Pacific, northeast of New Guinea: the largest island of the Bismarck Archipelago; part of Papua New Guinea; mountainous, with several active volcanoes. Capital: Rabaul. Pop: 161 737 (2000). Area: 36 519 sq km (14 100 sq miles)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012