- to treat or process (used or waste materials) so as to make suitable for reuse: recycling paper to save trees.
- to alter or adapt for new use without changing the essential form or nature of: The old factory is being recycled as a theater.
- to use again in the original form or with minimal alteration: The governor recycled some speeches from his early days.
- to cause to pass through a cycle again: to recycle laundry through a washing machine.
- to pass through a cycle again; repeat a process from the beginning.
- to undergo reuse or renewal; be subject to or suitable for further use, activity, etc.: The industry will recycle and become profitable once more.
- the act or process of recycling.
Origin of recycle
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for recycle
But in the end, White's music doesn't just recycle these tropes—it transcends them.Is Jack White the Last True Rock Star?
June 13, 2014
Meanwhile, Keira Knightley was not the first to recycle her dress.Here Comes the Bride…In Flaming Red: Two Centuries of Colorful Wedding Dresses
May 7, 2014
They feature custom wallpaper, system sounds, and desktop icons for My Computer, Recycle Bin, and Network Neighborhood.Homestar Runner, Trogdor the Burninator, and the Birth of the Internet
April 22, 2014
There are about 30 billion in the world, and it is inefficient to recycle them.Wood Cards Are a Green Alternative to the Classic Plastic Gift Card
November 29, 2013
The EPA has a module on its site to help consumers donate or recycle their old devices.ecoATM offers consumers a new way to sell used cell phones and electronic devices
September 1, 2013
The effort to recycle (art or literature) is part of the same co-writing strategy.The Civilization of Illiteracy
- to pass (a substance) through a system again for further treatment or use
- to reclaim (packaging or products with a limited useful life) for further use
- to institute a different cycle of processes or events in (a machine, system, etc)
- to repeat (a series of operations)
- the repetition of a fixed sequence of events
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for recycle
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper