Origin of regina
- a city in and the capital of Saskatchewan, in the S part, in S Canada.
- a female given name: from a Latin word meaning “queen.”
- a province in W Canada. 251,700 sq. mi. (651,900 sq. km). Capital: Regina.
- a river in SW Canada, flowing E to Lake Winnipeg: formed by the junction of the North Saskatchewan and South Saskatchewan rivers. 1205 miles (1940 km) long.
Examples from the Web for regina
Only four or five journalists attended the demonstration in memory of Regina Martinez in Coaztzacoalcos.Mexican Journalists Speak Out on Reporter Murders
June 17, 2014
The weird thing about hanging out with Regina is that I could hate her,” she says, “but I still wanted her to like me.‘Mean Girls’ Turns 10: Why the Modern Classic Is Still So Fetch
April 30, 2014
Alison is played by the marvelous Tatiana Maslany, an actress who hails from Regina, Saskatchewan.Why Should You Watch 'Orphan Black'? Tatiana Maslany.
April 19, 2014
There was that innocently ignoble time Phoebe Buffay pretended she was a physician named Dr. Regina Phalange.Scandal’s Lisa Kudrow on Sexism in Politics (and That Epic Rant)
November 14, 2013
Cher Horowitz, Seth Cohen, Regina George, and more offer advice on how to survive the new year.From ‘Mean Girls’ to ‘Clueless’: Pop Culture’s Best Back-to-School-Lessons
October 1, 2013
The visiting-room of Regina Cœli is constructed on the principle of a rat-trap.The Eternal City
The man was supposed then on the train heading towards Regina.Policing the Plains
Left there myself about four years ago—I joined the Force in Regina.The Trail of '98
Robert W. Service
Her name is Regina, and she is now married to Valentine, the king of the Eskimos there.A Labrador Doctor
Wilfred Thomason Grenfell
Brown and Davenport took their companies to Desire and Regina.
- queen: now used chiefly in documents, inscriptions, etcCompare Rex
- a city in W Canada, capital and largest city of Saskatchewan: founded in 1882 as Pile O'Bones. Pop: 178 225 (2001)
- a province of W Canada: consists of part of the Canadian Shield in the north and open prairie in the south; economy based chiefly on agriculture and mineral resources. Capital: Regina. Pop: 995 391 (2004 est). Area: 651 900 sq km (251 700 sq miles)Abbreviation: Sask, SK
- a river in W Canada, formed by the confluence of the North and South Saskatchewan Rivers: flows east to Lake Winnipeg. Length: 596 km (370 miles)
Word Origin and History for regina
fem. proper name, from Latin, literally "queen;" related to rex (genitive regis) "king" (see regal). Cf. Sanskrit rajni "queen," Welsh rhyain "maiden, virgin." The city in Canada was named 1882 by the then-governor general of Canada, Marquess of Lorne, in honor of Queen Victoria.
Canadian province, named for the river running through it, from Cree kis-si-ska-tches-wani-sipi "rapid flowing river."