- associated; connected.
- allied by nature, origin, kinship, marriage, etc.
- Music. (of tones) belonging to a melodic or harmonic series, so as to be susceptible of close connection.
Origin of related
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. relevant, affiliated. 2. linked, united, joined.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for relatedness
My creation is the creation of a fuller understanding of relatedness.Beauty and the Beast
Stewart A. McDowall
We are not strong by our power to penetrate, but by our relatedness.
The trouble is that the kinds of relatedness are so many and the kinds of change are also so many!
It seems that the basal type of relatedness here is electrical.
I have confined my attention to the cognitive type of relatedness.
- connected; associated
- connected by kinship or marriage
- (in diatonic music) denoting or relating to a key that has notes in common with another key or keys
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for relatedness
"connected by blood or marriage," 1702, past participle adjective from relate (v.). Related: Relatedness.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper