- residing; resident.
- involving or under obligation to be in official residence.
- a resident.
- an ecclesiastic bound to official residence.
Origin of residentiary
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for residentiary
This balance was divided among the six residentiary canons, making 83 11s.
We do not want to get rid of our Residentiary Canons, but we do want to have more of their company.
To the green lawns of this wide pleasaunce the houses of the residentiary Canons gave access.In the Wilderness
It was open to every Canon to reside if he chose; and if he chose to reside, he was in every sense a Residentiary.
- residing in a place, esp officially; resident
- subject to an obligation to reside in an official residencea residentiary benefice
- a member of the clergy obliged to reside in the place of his official appointment
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012