- to go up and down like a roller coaster; rise and fall: a narrow road roller-coastering around the mountain; a light boat roller-coastering over the waves.
- to experience a period of prosperity, happiness, security, or the like, followed by a contrasting period of economic depression, despair, or the like: The economy was roller-coastering throughout most of the decade.
- of, relating to, or characteristic of a roller coaster.
- resembling the progress of a ride on a roller coaster in sudden extreme changeableness.
Origin of roller-coaster
First recorded in 1960–65
- a small gravity railroad, especially in an amusement park, having a train with open cars that moves along a high, sharply winding trestle built with steep inclines that produce sudden, speedy plunges for thrill-seeking passengers.
- a car or train of cars for such a railroad.
- any phenomenon, period, or experience of persistent or violent ups and downs, as one fluctuating between prosperity and recession or elation and despair.
Origin of roller coaster
First recorded in 1885–90
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for roller-coaster
His Wednesday is going to be a roller-coaster ride from Rush Limbaugh to Fox to Laura Ingraham to who knows what.Eric Cantor’s Primary Loss Is a Political Earthquake. And It’s Awful.
June 11, 2014
Week one: Romney takes Seamus on a roller-coaster ride and laughs at the funny noises Seamus makes.The Seven Best Reality TV Shows Mitt Romney Could Make
November 12, 2012
It was less a cinematic achievement than a roller-coaster ride.‘The Amazing Spider-Man’ Fight Over Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone
Ramin Setoodeh, Maria Elena Fernandez
July 6, 2012
The roller-coaster presidential race now behind him, Morsi, 60, must confront his fiercest opponent yet: the military.Mohamed Morsi’s Great Burden: What’s Next for Egypt
June 26, 2012
Daily Beast contributors weigh in on where the night will take the Republican roller-coaster ride next.Daily Beast Writers on Romney’s Nevada Win
February 5, 2012
I never closed my eyes all night, not with this roller-coaster sliding down one mountain and up another.Behind the Green Door
Mildred A. Wirt
- another term for big dipper
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012